Pages

Thursday 17 May 2012

The Cutting Edge of Fashion

As if reading my thoughts on armour of Tuesday's post, I was notified today that a stunning new exhibition is opening at The Wallace Collection in London. The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite haunts - there is the most astonishing collection of Old Master Paintings there in a space that doesn't leave you feeling exhausted after a visit. It is also home to a major collection of armoury. One of my most abiding memories is dropping my coin filled purse while standing at the rear of an elaborately armoured horse. I was too terrified to pick up my purse and stood very much like a rabbit caught in the headlights as two curators made a dash to see what damage had been caused! Today marks the start of a new exhibition, The Noble Art of the Sword: Fashion and Fencing in Renaissance Europe bringing together the clothes and fashion that were sported together the deadly weapons that were wielded, in this exhibition the very best sixteenth- and early seventeenth-century swords. The exhibition continues until 16 September 2012 and admission is free. For more details click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment