Pages

Thursday 23 September 2010

Save Over £200 - The Delights of Digital

I know the debate about digital versus a lovely, real, tactile, paper-book-in-your-hand continues. Just last week I was looking to see what was new in some of the little cutting-edge design stores in Brighton and found a table full of Selvedge magazines. For about the third time this year, I found myself gathering up armfuls of this wonderful, bi-monthly, dedicated-textile magazine ready to go to the till - even at nearly £10 a copy, I was ready to take the pain in my purse. But then the still, small voice that gets to me everytime I approach a cash till with magazines or books, asked yet again, And when you have read them, where will they go? Will you be able to remember where all the good, inspiring articles are in them - and quickly - or will you have to trawl through them all for that one special article? I have a studio full of books and magazines, partly indexed and cross-referenced, but frankly without taking on extra staff, I know this indexing is a battle waiting to be lost. And, back there in Brighton, I knew, deep in my heart, that if I wanted so many magazines, it really did make sense to wait and take out a subscription when I got home. And that is what I did. But joy of joy! I could take out a digital subscription for a reduced rate of £25 for 6 issues - and not only that, I had access to 23 back copies also! W-w-w-wow. Child in a sweetie shop, is what you would have thought if you'd seen me then. I can save pages as jpegs to special folders so I can find what inspired me again and quickly - no scissors, no wondering if I'm cutting up something important on the other side. I have to say, if you are curious about the delights of digital, there is no better way of finding out - at the end of the year I shall have enjoyed 29 Selvedge Magazines for just £25 - and that is more than an armful, by anyone's reckoning.

5 comments:

  1. great idea and for such a great exspensive magazine i like this idea. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea - and yet I should have. I have been using an e-reader for awhile now, as I am determined to get rid of the clutter of so many books that I read just once and then pass on to someone else... I don't mean my beautiful stitching books, but just what I read for fun - this makes so much sense to me...

    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness!!!! Thanks so much for this info. I've long admired copies of Selvedge on the newstand but wouldn't let loose my funds to buy a copy...this was such a bargain...access to all of those lovely issues for US $40 and change...so worth every penny!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love digital so I have access to patterns from other countries that I can download immediately. Plus I agree, you don't have all the clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so very very much for this post! I have taken advantage of the offer myself. It may take me a few weeks to make it through all those back issues but I'm having a ball!! Many thanks, Susan Elliott

    ReplyDelete