Pages

Monday 9 August 2010

See Norfolk Churches from Your Armchair

Some of you may have detected that I have been out and about lately - and having trouble with internet access. Such is the small price one has to pay for enjoying the wonders of North Norfolk and its coast of secrets. I particulary love the round tower churches of this part of the country, though sadly World War II took its toll as many airfields were based nearby. The churches are wonderful repositories of history and culture with their monuments, painted walls, painted reredos and iconostases and not least their old stained glass windows, many dating back the the 15th century. I was on the look out for European links. To observe the pattern of building along the coast and particularly in the region of the old staithes or harbours, one might almost think oneself in Denmark, even down to the roof high holyhocks. And the fact is that before the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century, you would have been as likely to hear Flemish or Frisian spoken in this area as English. This Flemish glass with the name C.Le Grys Manfylde is in the church at Denton.

Much of the glass is now fragmented, but I love the way it has been pieced together again, like a rich, old, beloved quilt. Do explore this website for yourself - it is full of treasures and delight.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link. For me it is a treasure trove. I have been collecting photos of the faces in the old stained glass windows, 16thC and before, with the hope of putting them into a textile piece. Another good site is Alan Barton's http://medieval-church-art.blogspot.com/.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this link. I also found it fascinating. Everytime I have been to England and have had a car, I have enjoyed exploring all the little Churches and Cathedrals that we came across. My particular favourites are the Churches with the graves stones all around the Church.

    ReplyDelete