Pages

Sunday 14 June 2009

Cardiff Singer of the World and Smoked Salmon Sandwiches

It has been my pleasure this week to watch the Cardiff Singer of the World competition. The singers are young - the youngest, Giordano Luca a tenor from Italy just 21. The final tonight was thrilling and a Russian soprano Ekaterina Shcherbachenko was declared the winner. But all were different and all winners in their own right - Yurij Mynenko a marvellous counter-tenor from the Ukraine, Eri Nakamura, a soprano from Japan and Jan Martinik from the Czech Republic. Giordano was the darling of the audience and received a special prize.
Our concert supper was white wine and smoked salmon sandwiches - but because I have been so busy and have not been to the shops for most of the week, I realised I had no lemon! I was also out of creme fraiche and creamed horseradish which when mixed 1:1 makes a lovely dressing on Orkney salmon....Heavens to Murgatroyd - what to do? I had a look in the fridge and found sushi ginger and wasabe (the grandchildren love making sushi lunches with me) and a tablespoon of fresh cream. So half a tablespoon of chopped ginger and a teaspoon of wasabe (more if you like) added to the cream and - Bob's your uncle! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment